Friday 16 September 2011

The Irrationals - Caffeine


The Irrationals - Caffeine by Perth Sound & Found


Reviewed by DJ Dave (Komodo Music) for Perth Sound and Found

I was not sure what to expect when I was handed this song, but I must say this is the first track in a long time (this is coming from a DJ remember) where I not only liked it immediately, but I am tempted to go out and buy their album based solely on this one song.


The rhythm guitar starting it off was all it took to get my attention. Before I knew it I was bopping my head and tapping my foot to this catchy tune about how this guy loves and needs his partner “more than caffeine” (which I can tell you to a coffee enthusiast is a lot).  Listening to this gave me that wonderful feeling you get when you find something valuable and special when you weren’t looking, diamond in the rough.

The band consists of Lead Vocals/Rhythm Guitar-Ben Hesp. Lead Guitar- Matt McGuire. Bass- Madolyn Morel- Drums-Drew Winchester. I have no idea where these guys have been hiding but everything they did was spot on the mark!

Beautiful vocals in the background, a positive message in the lyrics, great instrumental work and a strong but not overpowering singer all work together to make it an enjoyable listen.

One of the only drawbacks with this song was probably the length. The song itself is fun and a great spin but coming in at just under 4 and a half minutes, I feel they could have shaved maybe 30-40 seconds off without losing any of the effect. That being said though, if listening to this song on a Sunday while watching the sun go down with a beer in hand, you will probably find the timing just right.

A perfect summer song and a fresh new sound for the Perth scene. I firmly believe that supporting locals is always good but only if they have the skill to back it up; The Irrationals tick all the boxes and most definitely deserve a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment