Thursday 15 September 2011

Pictures of Sarah - EP Review

Pictures of Sarah - I <3 Matt and EP Review by Perth Sound & Found

Pictures Of Sarah (a five piece, post-hardcore band hailing from Perth) much awaited EP has hit our shores. Being influenced from bands such as Thrice and The Amity Affliction it features heavy riffs, intense breakdowns and brutal vocals that would make any priest lose faith in god.
The EP in question features 5 tracks,
1. Shame and Pride,
2. Father Time,
3. Weight Of A Thousand Worlds,
4. I <3 Matt,
5. Straitjacket For A Sane Man.
Personally, I don’t usually listen to post-hardcore tunes but I can safely say I enjoyed listening to this EP with I <3 Matt standing out for me.

The EP begins with Shame and Pride, starting with an intense guitar riff (that reminds me of old school Slayer solo’s) and an awesome mix of clean and “unclean” vocals. With some interesting tempo changes the track ends with a bang that puts you on the edge of your seat. Next, Father Time, which from the beginning seems like a relatively heavier more emotionally involved song, features more “unclean” vocals and interesting almost quirky “fills” that link to other parts of the song. These fills and different parts of the song are blended awesome which lead to an ending that leaves you almost feeling dirty and uneasy. Weight of A Thousand Worlds changes pace a bit with an interesting drumbeat and a slow paced bridge and a few time changes that are just insane but were pulled off amazingly. The song contains more ‘cleaner’ vocals that have a old-school hardcore feel about them and contains a diverse array of instrumentation that impressed me quite a bit. I <3 Matt Starts off solidly with a chorus that glides seamlessly into the heavier verse that sounds musically amazing. Then going to into a dirty breakdown only to smash out some blast beats. The song contains so many aspects that are blended together beautifully, along with some gang vocals, which in my books are awesome. Finally, Straitjacket For A Sane Man differs slightly from the rest of the EP with a strong start only to fall into a trippy riff that contrasts completely, falling back into this throughout the song, and at the end where it stops and climaxes to a full out gang vocal massacre, a great way to end the EP.
Overall, the EP is, in short, awesome. The only thing that let me down was the actual recording quality of some of the vocals (some sounded like they were recorded in an empty alley way), being intentional or not, this did not “float my boat”. Despite that, I was glued to my headphones. With heavy hooks, brutal vocals, incredibly diverse drumming, time changes that puzzled me and just the diversity that could be contained in a single song let alone an EP I sat listening to these tracks more then once. I look forward to hearing more from Pictures Of Sarah.
Reviewed by Hayden Amoruso

No comments:

Post a Comment