Thursday 15 September 2011

Stillwater Giants - Give Into Me

Stillwater Giants - Give Into Me by Perth Sound & Found

Stillwater Giants, an alternative rock/jazz/reggae band from Perth and recent winners of Gozzy Rock 2011, have recently released their EP. When I was given the opportunity to review the first track of their EP, I snatched it up.

Give Into Me (the first track off their EP) starts interestingly with a style I haven’t heard from any other local Perth bands. The intro has a very jazz feel to it as it leads into the verse. After a strong start a brilliant vocal line follows, along with some harmonisations, in the pre-chorus, that are pulled off perfectly. The chorus features interesting instrumentation all around and with awesome vocal melodies and lyrics. The bridge has a gradual build up of instrumentation and vocal harmonies to an awesome use of vocals and backup vocals (similar to a canon). All of this leads to a short very “jazzy” guitar solo, an awesome way to end the song.

I found it amusing that on their Myspace page (apparently people do still use Myspace) their “Sounds like:” section was left blank. I haven’t heard a local Perth band that sounds anything like Stillwater Giants. Listening to Give Into Me for the first time was wonderful, I had no idea what I would expect and I was surprised a few times. Give Into Me is a fantastic track, so much so, that I plan on chasing up a copy of Stillwater Giants EP. I suggest you do to.

Reviewed by Hayden Amoruso

Facebook Link: http://www.facebook.com/StillwaterGiants

No comments:

Post a Comment