Friday 16 September 2011

Nevsky Prospekt - Top Marks For Treachery

Nevsky Prospekt - Top Marks For Treachery by Perth Sound & Found
Reviewed by DJ Dave (Komodo Music) for Perth Sound and Found

It was almost 11pm on a Friday night, and after a hard day of work I was tired and ready for bed; but being the good reviewer I am I thought I’d listen to this song in preparation for tomorrow…well it definitely woke me up!

The beat was catchy as hell and had that old school rocky feel to it and I found myself nodding along for almost the entirety of the song

Ok, the lyrics are a bit dark but compared to a lot of songs out there it is nice to see something with heart (granted it is bloody and still beating) but at least it’s got something behind it as opposed to a lot of the “Pop Sh*t” currently being pumped through our radio speakers. I found it stopped short of the “Dark Rock” which is too heavy for me to enjoy but went beyond the “Soft Rock” which can be a little ‘naff’ for my taste. It found that happy medium which allowed me to enjoy it.

The down side for this track seems to be the downside for a lot of records I listen to; they just don’t know when to end it! The song comes in at 4:19 but it really finished at 3:32; the extra 51 seconds actually spoilt the track for me as the tempo and mood changed to dramatically and quickly. Whereas during most of the song it pumped me up and made me want to say “F**K Yeah!!” and rock out, the last 51 secs made me depressed and brought me down to way too fast for me to enjoy it.

Overall I feel this is track for those who like their rock and are looking for something more but aren’t quite ready to listen to “Alice in Chains” or “Marylyn Manson”. It will get you pumped but too much exposure may leave you bitter at the world. Love it or hate it, be sure to give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment